How to Perfect Your Seated Cable Row Form for Maximum Results

let's get into it setup kit for the cable row can be simplified into four main checkpoints the positioning of the feet trunk shoulders and grip I want to go through each one of those with you guys so you got it right so you can perform the movement safely and effectively hitting all the target muscles right so starting with the feet simply straight up and down right no internal external rotation I like them right about where I would be if I were squatting with a soft bend.

 


I use my legs to pull the cable away to protect my back the second thing is the trunk position I like to set my trunk vertically right my torso should be straight up and down when I do this I like to set it before I start pulling because I find if I select a weight and yank it back I'm already going to start in a bad position so I like to start where I want to be for the exercise as for the shoulders I don't want them too far forward or too far back.

 

 

I just want them neutral straight up and down so that my chest is stacked over my trunk grip simply I like to grip the cable right in the middle with my thumbs wrapped around as well some people prefer to keep the thumbs vertical you can do whatever feels comfortable I like to use my legs to push back a little bit on the bench and get into the starting position with the arms extended the torso up and my eyes straight ahead simply pulling the shoulder blades back all the way making sure that you get enough range of motion to pinch them together.

 

 

I also make a point to start the movement by pulling the shoulder blades back that'll help me initiate and engage the lats versus if I pull with my arms you're going to bias the biceps a little too much which is something that we want to avoid so start the movement by retracting the scapula and stay in this position the entire time two big points.

 

 

I want to hit on this so you can perform this right breathing and tempo the breathing for the exercise is pretty self-explanatory it's pretty simple it's a simple exhale as you pull the Weight in and inhaling as you lower it down that kind of explains itself it's pretty easy.



 
if it doesn't feel natural for you feel free to reverse it but I do recommend exhaling on the contraction and inhaling as you let the weight back down as for tempo with this exercise because you get the opportunity to move a lot of weight with one of the strongest prime movers in your body the lats.

 

 

we must maintain control because again your lats are a huge muscle group they have a lot of strength and they're pulling on stuff like your spine on your scapula so having a controlled tempo is critical you don't want to get injured doing a cable row nobody does that so make sure that you stay safe and under control pull the weight in I like to hold in the retracted position for like two seconds and then lower.

 

 

The Weight is slowly and under control not with my arms right I want to lower it with my lats so in terms of execution and intent when you do the exercise exactly an excellent two-second count initiating the movement by retracting the scapula and finishing it by shortening the lats not pulling into your biceps squeeze the lats hold the shoulder blades and retraction at the back for about two seconds there and then let it down slow.

 

 

Two or three-second eccentric letting the lat do all the work keeping the intent on executing the movement with the Latin lower trap try to keep your biceps out of it for some people the grip might be a problem you might feel your forearms lighting up that'll go away with time especially as you become more comfortable with the movement or you just become a more seasoned lifter overall you guys will know you're doing this exercise correctly if you're able to feel the back musculature the entire time.

 

 

you do it right with some combination of the lats lower traps maybe even a little upper traps even though we want to keep that on the low but that's a cue for you guys to know you're doing it right if you start to feel it too much in your forearms biceps lower back or maybe you even feel like you're moving too far forward with spinal flexion and extension to move the weight that's a really good indicator that you might need to lower the weight. 


You're using down a little bit right we want to lift with the target tissue, not with our ego so I strongly recommend only lifting a weight you can control as for a prescription for this exercise it's going to vary based on your goals I would recommend doing it in a variety of rep ranges regardless of what you want to accomplish it works great for strength in a lower rep range it's great for hypertrophy in that moderate to high repetition range and it's also a great exercise that you can do even at you know 12 15 plus repetition ranges to really fatigue the tissue or finish the back off it's a great movement that lends itself well to a lot of different goals and adaptations.

 

 FAQ:

 

          What Muscles Does the Seated Cable Row Target?

The Seated Cable Row is an effective exercise for targeting the muscles of the back. The primary muscle group that the Seated Cable Row targets are the middle back muscles, specifically the latissimus dorsi (lats), rhomboids, and trapezius.

 

What Are The Benefits Of Seated Cable Rows?

Seated Cable Rows offer several benefits that can help improve your overall fitness and health. One of the most significant advantages of this exercise is that it targets multiple muscle groups, including the latissimus dorsi, rhomboids, and trapezius muscles.

 

Is Seated Cable Row Suitable for Beginners?

Seated Cable Rows can be a suitable exercise for beginners, but it's important to approach the exercise with caution and to learn the proper form before adding weight. As with any exercise, it's important to start with lighter weights and to focus on mastering the technique before progressing to heavier weights.

Post a Comment

0 Comments